Wednesday, 25 November 2009 17:52
There is, however, a way to check if your event-tracking code is working on your pages. This way you don't have to wait to log in to Analytics the next day and see if your events registered.
- Implementation of Google Analytics tracking code in the website you want to track
- Mozilla Firefox
- Firebug extension for Firefox
What to do
It's really quite simple:
- Load up your website and start up Firebug. If you have screenspace you would want to pop Firefox out of the browser window into its own window.
- Enable the Net panel in Firebug.
- Once you've got the website up, click around or do whatever to trigger the events are you want to track.
- If event tracking is working, you should see an entry like the following upon triggering your event:
- Go ahead and click the "+" button to the left and select "Params", which will show you something like:
- What you're looking for is the highlighted entry, because this shows you the parameters you entered in your event-tracking code. In my case, the code was:
page_Tracker._trackEvent('site' , 'click' , 'Pkstore');
- So now you know that event-tracking is working for this event. You can check other events in the same way.